British sports minister condemns PL head’s emails
LONDON (AP) — Disparaging email exchanges about women that were leaked from the head of the Premier League’s account were “completely unacceptable,” the British government said on Tuesday.
Pressure has been growing on league chief executive Richard Scudamore despite issuing an apology on Sunday, when a British newspaper published parts of leaked emails. The Football Association said it would not discipline one of the English game’s most powerful figures, but now Sports Minister Helen Grant has intervened in the controversy.
“I found the content of those emails completely unacceptable and very disappointing, particularly at a time when there is so much good work and progress being made promoting women’s sport,” said Grant, whose government role also covers the equality brief.
“I am determined to do all I can to help tackle all forms of discrimination in sport. There is absolutely no place for it and all of us working in sport need to pull together on the issue. There is no room for complacency.”
The FA said it wasn’t considering acting against Scudamore because his comments were made in private e-mail exchanges that were leaked by a former personal assistant. But former Chelsea defender Paul Elliott was told by the FA last year that his positions with the organization were untenable after he used a racially offensive word in leaked, private text messages.