Therese ‘Terry’ McKenney LaPorte -- Mitchell, Neb.

July 29, 2018

Therese “Terry” McKenney LaPorte, 93, formerly of Rochester, died Jan. 5, 2018, in Mitchelle, Neb.

Therese was born in Woonsocket, R.I., on March 18, 1924, the daughter of Albert E. and Blanche I. (Landry) Marchand. She graduated high school in 1941, as WWII was beginning. In addition to working at the Narragansett Knitting Mill, Terry joined the USO.

She met Maurice L. McKenney, a SeaBee who served in the South Pacific. They were married in 1946 and moved to Rochester. A daughter, Christine, was born to them in 1948, and a son, Mark, in 1952. Maurice died in 1970.

Terry spent 34 years serving the public as the front desk clerk at the Zumbro Hotel in Rochester. She was a favorite of the guests, both local and foreign and her fluency in French made many conversations easier. Ironically, upon her retirement, the Zumbro Hotel was demolished.

In 1972, Terry remarried. She and Harry J. LaPorte enjoyed dining out, dancing and travel. In retirement, she worked as a voting poll worker, joined the Red Hat Society and helped at the Faith Church school. Mr. LaPorte passed away in 1987.

In 2003, Terry left Rochester and moved to Salida, Colo., to be closer to family. She rejoined the Red Hatters and spent time traveling.

In 2014, her daughter, Chris, and son-in-law, Bill, asked her to join them as they moved to Mitchell, Neb. In her 90s, she kept up on current events, between TV and the newspaper every day.

November brought back the enemy she had done battle with so many times: cancer, breast cancer twice, on the scar tissue once, melanoma twice and finally lymphoma. The doctors all marveled at her stoic attitude and strength. She fought until the end.

On Aug. 1, her ashes will be interred at the Center Grove Cemetery in Douglas, where her first husband, Maurice McKenney, is buried.

Terry is survived by her daughter, Chris; son, Mark; four grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents; her only sibling, Madeleine; and grandson, Michael.

Update hourly