Tim Wiederaenders: Daylight Savings Day? How about Find a Phone Booth?
We have a difficult situation — call it an ongoing conundrum: People often call to complain we did not observe a certain “day.”
The latest example was March 8 — International Women’s Day. We found a story from the Associated Press and posted it online. This is one that deserves attention!
However, the question surfaced, “Did the calendar we ordered have this listed as one of its pre-printed holidays?”
Unfortunately, no such calendar exists that we can find. At the same time, I found a website listing every “special day” you can imagine. Really.
For March 2019, this includes “month” designations of Irish American Month, National Celery Month, National Craft Month, National Nutrition Month, National Peanut Month, Red Cross Month and Social Workers Month — to name some of the dozen or so.
Then there’s Employee Appreciation Day, National Pig Day, National Salesperson Day, Peace Corps Day, Peanut Butter Lovers’ Day, World Day of Prayer, and World Compliment Day. Those were all March 1.
Other examples, which I don’t understand, include If Pets Had Thumbs Day (March 3), Holy Experiment Day (March 4), Be Nasty Day (March 8), Ear Muff Day (March 13), Dumbstruck Day (March 15), Goddess of Fertility Day (March 18), Melba Toast Day (March 23), and World Backup Day (March 31).
For a few of them, I can place meaning with:
• Hug a GI Day (March 4) — They all deserve our thanks!
• Multiple Personality Day (March 5) — Your excuse, “It wasn’t me; honest, Honey!”
• Panic Day (March 9) — When I realize I forgot to send my sibling a card; happy birthday, Sis!
• Plant a Flower Day (March 12) — Not in this cold. We always get another freeze before Easter.
• Freedom of Information Day (March 16) — Coincides with Sunshine Week!
• Extraterrestrial Abductions Day (March 20) — Not sure about this one; it struck me as fun though.
• Absolutely Incredible Kid Day (March 21) — Aren’t they all? Love you, Heather!
• National “Joe” Day (March 27) — The president of our corporation deserves a day to himself!
• I Am In Control Day (March 30) — I could make fun of this one, but it’s actually quite serious. On March 30, 1981, President Ronald Reagan was wounded in an assassination attempt. Lots of confusion prevailed. In the White House, then-Secretary of State Alexander Haig was quoted out of context when he said, “I am in control here.”
Instead of focusing on the entire statement, people and the media focused on these few words. Political uproar eventually led to his resignation. On that infamous day, “I Am In Control Day” was born.
So, ahead, I look forward to April Fool’s Day (April 1) – the day of my birth, and of course April 4 – National Hug A News (Wo)Man Day!
I had to include those — because April is National Humor Month as well as Stress Awareness Month. Think about it. Go out and make it a great day today — March 10 is not only Daylight Savings Day (reminder: Arizonans do not observe “springing forward,” but know it for when you call relatives elsewhere), it is also International Find a Pay Phone Booth Day. Not so easy anymore; maybe it should be Endangered Technology Day.
Tim Wiederaenders is a former Lake Havasu City resident and current senior news editor at the Prescott Daily Courier, a sister newspaper of Today’s News-Herald.