Middlesex house fire caused by electrical overload

February 18, 2018

MIDDLESEX, Vt. (AP) — Vermont State Police say a fire at a home in Middlesex was caused by too many electrical devices plugged into one circuit.

The fire caused moderate fire and smoke damage to several rooms on Friday. No one was home at the time.

Fire officials say the electrical overload caused the devices and the electrical line to overheat in several areas causing nearby combustibles to catch fire.

Officials also noted that an animal may have pulled loose or chewed some of the wiring.

State police and the Division of Fire Safety are reminding the public not to overload electrical circuits with too many electrical devices at one time. They say to unplug electrical equipment when not in use and to spread devices out to different electrical circuits.

Update hourly