Lowell Food Pop-up Wins EforAll Top Prize
LAWRENCE -- EforAll Lowell-Lawrence awarded $10,000 to businesses from the 2018 Summer Accelerator. A culmination of a three-month intensive business accelerator program, the celebration featured a showcase of 13 businesses and was attended by friends, families, and community members.
Beginning in June, 15 startups and early stage businesses were selected out of 44 applicants to participate in the business Accelerator. For three months, they met as a cohort twice a week. In addition each business met with a team of three mentors once a week. Each accelerator has over 40 volunteer mentors to support the entrepreneurs as they work to launch and move their businesses forward. 13 businesses completed the program and presented their businesses to a panel of judges over three nights in the end of August.
Based on the presentations and participation in the Accelerator, six of 13 businesses received prize money. The top prize of $4,000 went to Koshari Mama, a pop-up food business that sells Egyptian street food at Mill No. 5 and farmers markets in the Greater Boston area. Founded by mother and daughter Sahar Ahmed and Dina Fahim, they have plans to grown significantly in the coming year.
Sahar shared, “EforAll helped us beyond anything we have ever imagined. We had an amazing team of mentors and a fabulous coach who helped guide us in the right direction and pushed us to achieve our goals. We gained an incredible amount of knowledge and met so many amazing people. EforAll provided us with a tremendous support system and we feel like we’ve gained a new family.”
Also receiving prize money are:
* Second prize, $2,000, Real ToDo. a personal customer relationship manager (CRM) for real estate agents.
* Third prize, $1,500, Brightset Entertainment, a booking agency focused on music located in Billerica.
* Fourth prize, Flavor Noire, $750, an e-commerce company poised to become the leader in curated monthly world food subscription boxes that will launch in Lowell.
* Fifth prize, Over the Spoon, $750, a kitchen supply store that will open in Mill No. 5 in October.
* Christina Hamilton Award,. $500, The New American Center, an organization to promote education and empowerment for refugees.