Related topics

AM-Prep: Cooler Copy

May 22, 2019


BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut woman who got hot wax dropped in her eye at beauty spa has settled a lawsuit against the now-closed business for $400,000.

An attorney for 61-year-old Gail Gianpalo of Monroe, says his client suffered permanent eye injuries from a botched eyebrow wax and incurred about $4,700 in medical expenses.

The settlement was first reported by the Connecticut Law Tribune.

Gianpalo went to the Fairfield spa in July 2016 to get her eyebrows waxed. According to the lawsuit, while the salon’s manager was in the process of applying wax to Gianpalo’s eyebrows, he got into an argument with another customer and dropped hot wax into her right eye.

The settlement was reached with the help of a mediator.


LUCEDALE, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi’s House speaker says a state lawmaker should resign if he punched his wife in the face.

Republican Speaker Philip Gunn says he has tried to contact Republican Rep. Doug McLeod of Lucedale to request his resignation if what sheriff’s deputies accuse him of is true.

A report filed by George County deputies says McLeod bloodied his wife’s nose after she didn’t undress quickly enough when McLeod wanted to have sex. Deputies report McLeod was drunk and holding a glass of alcohol when they arrived.

Gunn calls the actions “unacceptable for anyone.”

McLeod is charged with misdemeanor domestic violence. He’s free on bail and hasn’t returned requests for comment. It’s unclear if he has a lawyer.

McLeod, who is 58, has represented George and Stone counties since 2012. He’s unopposed for re-election this year.


HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina teacher has been charged with threatening to “shoot up” her school.

A news release from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office says Kristen Thompson was arrested yesterday on a felony charge of communicating a threat of mass violence.

The sheriff’s office says Thompson abruptly resigned Friday from Pathways Elementary School in Hillsborough. It says other teachers reported that Thompson “made threats to shoot up the school.”

Thompson’s name didn’t appear on the school’s website yesterday. But an archived version indicated that she worked with children in the special education program.


DALLAS (AP) — Police in Dallas say they are investigating whether the killings of two transgender women and an assault on a third are connected.

Maj. Vincent Weddington said yesterday at a news conference that there are similarities in the three cases. No arrests have been made.

The most recent killing occurred over the weekend. That’s when 23-year-old Muhlaysia Booker was found shot to death Saturday. Her death came a month after a cellphone video showed her being brutally beaten in a separate incident.

Police say the first killing, which was also a fatal shooting, occurred last October.

They say the assault happened in April and the victim was stabbed repeatedly.


SEMINOLE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Florida teacher was arrested after bringing a handgun and knives to the elementary school where she worked.

The Tampa Bay Times reports 49-year-old Betty Jo Soto was arrested and fired Monday. Pinellas County Schools Police say she faces two misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon.

A district spokeswoman says Soto was exhibiting “suspicious behavior” Monday at Starkey Elementary School in Seminole. The principal notified police. An arrest report says officers searched a backpack in Soto’s fourth grade classroom and found a 9mm semiautomatic pistol. Police also reported finding two knives.

Soto has a concealed weapons permit, but that doesn’t allow her to carry weapons on school property.

Soto recently learned her teaching contract wouldn’t be renewed, but school officials wouldn’t say when she was told that.


JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man has been sentenced to life in prison for his wife’s murder, which was witnessed by their then-toddler son who found his mother’s buried body 21 years later.

The Florida Times-Union reports that 52-year-old Michael Haim was sentenced yesterday. He was convicted last month of second-degree murder.

Bonnie Haim was 23 when she disappeared in January 1993. The couple’s 3-year-old son Aaron told police his father had shot the woman, but no body was found. Michael Haim was not charged and lived off his dead wife’s life insurance policy for years.

Aaron Fraser, who took his adopted family’s name, later won a wrongful death lawsuit against his biological father _ and got his home.

Fraser was removing the pool in 2014 when he found his mother’s remains. Haim was soon arrested.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.