Order Revoking Pass Was Signed Same Day As Shooting At State Department
WASHINGTON (AP) _ The pass that Edward Doster used to enter the State Department, where he shot his mother to death, was revoked on June 21, the same day the shooting occurred, a State Department official said.
The 20-year-old man had smuggled a rifle past State Department security and went to his mother’s office, about 120 feet from Secretary of State George P. Shultz’s office. There Doster shot his mother and then himself.
Officials later said Carole Doster, fearing for her safety, had asked security officials to revoke her son’s ″dependent’s pass″ that allowed him into the building without passing through metal detectors. Mrs. Doster’s letter was dated May 30. Investigators said she brought it to the department’s mail room two weeks later.
″On June 19, action was begun on the letter to Mrs. Doster’s son revoking his pass and on instructions to building guards concerning the revocation of the pass,″ a department statement said Wednesday. ″The order revoking the building pass of Mrs. Doster’s son was signed on June 21 prior to the murder.″
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Federal Highway Administration’s truck safety inspection program will be reorganized in light of criticism that enforcement is inconsistent and lax.
The agency’s Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety, will get a new associate director tor oversee some 125 truck safety inspectors nationwide, spokesman Eric Bolton said Wednesday. He said the change would ensure ″a more effective and quick response between field inspectors and our headquarters.″ Field inspectors, who in the past have reported to 52 division directors, now will report directly to the new associate director.
Bolton said truck safety inspectors help state officials and local police agencies conduct spot roadside checks of trucks for compliance with federal safety regulations. They also perform safety audits of large trucking companies to check safety and maintenance procedures, personnel practices and training.
Critics contended the FHA division chiefs placed more emphasis on highway problems than truck safety.
WASHINGTON (AP) - A District of Columbia Superior Court judge sentenced Robert Lee Williams to 35 to 105 years in prison for a drunk-driving accident that left seven people dead at a crowded bus stop.
Williams, who had pleaded guilty to manslaughter and drunken driving charges after his car smashed into the bus stop, was sentenced Wednesday by Judge Eugene N. Hamilton. In exchange for his guilty plea, prosecutors dropped seven counts of second-degree murder and two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon.
Williams got five to 15 years on each of two counts of manslaughter while armed and on each of five counts of manslaughter, plus 90 days on a count of driving while intoxicated. All sentences are to be served consecutively. Assistant U.S. Attorney Charles Hall said Williams, 41, of Washington, would be eligible for parole after 35 years and 90 days. At a court proceeding, Williams told the judge he had used heroin within a half-hour before the Aug. 25, 1984, accident and had been drinking.
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon’s head of the all-volunteer armed forces, Lawrence J. Korb, is resigning his post to join the Raytheon Corp., as vice president for corporate operations.
The Pentagon said Wednesday in a statement that Korb’s resignation would be effective Sept. 1. Korb himself, a professor and former Navy flight officer who joined the Reagan administration in 1981, was said to be out of his office and not immediately available for comment.
Raytheon, headquarted in Lexington Mass., is the the nation’s ninth largest defense contractor and a major supplier of electronic, communication and missile components.
Korb, 46, whose tenure saw a dramatic increase in recruiting, has said the ″volunteer services are here to stay.″ But he leaves at a time when the recruitment appears to heading to tough times, with a decline in the number of teenagers signing up for the services’ delayed entry program.
WASHINGTON (AP) - The K Mart Corp. faces an $800,000 government lawsuit alleging that the discount giant sold automobile turn-signals and hazard- warning flashers that don’t meet federal safety requirements.
The Justice Department filed the U.S. District Court suit Wednesday in Baltimore on behalf of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The suit contends K Mart offered for sale 878,000 of the devices labeled Type 551 and Type 552 although they failed to meet federal safety standards. The devices were manufactured by Gen-Star of Taipei, Taiwan.
In 1982, NHTSA tested 100 of the devices purchased at K-Mart Stores in northern Virginia and in Maryland. Tests revealed failure in starting time, flash rate, percentage of time with current on, and durability, the government said.
The government also charged that K Mart failed to promptly notify buyers of the problems or remedy the non-compliance promptly as required by the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.