AP NEWS

Autopsy planned for diver pulled from waters off Key West

July 18, 2018

KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) — Authorities are investigating the death of a 31-year-old man who had been diving in the Gulf of Mexico off Key West.

In a statement Wednesday, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Adam Linhardt said Jonathan Christopher Saporito was diving Tuesday with a hookah rig, which uses a compressor floating on the water’s surface to pump air through hoses, instead of using traditional scuba tanks.

Linhardt said a Coast Guard crew found two other men attempting to revive Saporito aboard a private 24-foot boat.

The men told the sheriff’s office they had been taking turns diving at a depth of roughly 20 feet (6 meters) for several hours. At 7 p.m., Saporito failed to resurface. He was unresponsive when he was pulled aboard.

An autopsy is scheduled. Saporito’s hometown wasn’t released.