Husker Extra Recruiting Ticker: Dec. 14
Nebraska hits the home stretch of the contact period before National Signing Day in good shape to finish strong.
The entire Husker staff spent Thursday in the Phoenix area to see four-star defensive end Ty Robinson, and they will see four-star safety Noa Pola-Gates before returning to Lincoln.
That visit reportedly is happening today rather than Thursday.
Head coach Scott Frost can’t be in on Pola-Gates’ in-home visit because he used one last week, so he appears to be going to see priority 2020 lineman Nash Hutmacher in South Dakota before returning to Lincoln. Frost tried to see Hutmacher earlier in December, but the trip was scuttled because of weather.
Once back in Lincoln, he’ll find 2019 offensive line prospect Jimmy Fritzsche, who is the only known official visitor this weekend. The Greenville, South Carolina, native had a big curveball thrown into his recruitment yesterday when Clemson offered.
So, if you’re keeping score at home, here are the primary names to keep an eye on over the coming days:
* Robinson hosted all four finalists (Oregon, USC, Alabama and the Huskers) this week and will announce his decision at 1:45 p.m. Wednesday at his school.
* Pola-Gates intends to sign a national letter of intent on Wednesday, but will not announce his decision until Jan. 19 at the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii.
* Fritzsche could make a decision in the coming days or delay signing until February.
* Defensive end Brant Banks (Houston) is a midyear enrollee, so he’ll be making his decision in the coming days. Banks visited the Huskers twice during the season. He’s also been recruited hard by Baylor and others.
* Outside linebacker Amare Barno (Butler Community College in Kansas) is visiting Virginia Tech this weekend and then making his decision between the Hokies and Huskers shortly thereafter.
Summerall’s televised announcement: Another top Husker target, four-star outside linebacker Lloyd Summerall, is making his announcement between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. on ESPN2 as part of ESPN’s signing day coverage. The release refers to Summerall’s finalists as Nebraska, Miami and Florida.
Chase gets a final visit: NU offensive coordinator Troy Walters is making one more swing through the Pacific Northwest on Friday before heading back to Lincoln with the onset of the dead period.
He’ll be in Vancouver, Washington, to see wide receiver verbal commitment Darien Chase, the Union High standout confirmed to the Journal Star.
Elsewhere, running backs coach Ryan Held was in Louisiana to see Matthew Anderson one last time during the contact period.
Both players are expected to sign Wednesday, and then will join the Huskers in the summer. Every Husker verbal commit, besides juco offensive lineman Desmond Bland, is expected to sign Wednesday. Bland is expected to sign in February.
Join Parker Gabriel on Facebook Live this evening as he discusses all things recruiting and answers your questions.