Louis Sebastian Tells Judge He Will Take the Stand in His Own Defense in Downtown Boulder Murder Trial
For live coverage of the trial, follow reporter @mitchellbyars on Twitter.
Louis Sebastian, charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a man in a downtown Boulder restaurant in 2017, has told a judge he will take the stand today.
Sebastian, 33, is charged with first-degree murder and carrying a concealed weapon without a permit in the shooting death of Christopher King, 49.
Boulder District Judge Andrew Hartman read Sebastian his right to choose whether or not to testify on Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday morning, Sebastian told Hartman he was going to take the stand in his own defense.
Defense attorneys also plan to call at least one other witness, and estimated they would wrap up their case by Wednesday afternoon.
Police say Sebastian and King got into an argument at Bramble & Hare, 1970 13th St., on May 29, 2017. Witnesses said the two then went outside and shortly after that gunshots rang out. King came back inside the restaurant, where Sebastian followed and fatally shot him.
An employee of the restaurant was able to disarm Sebastian before police arrived to take him into custody.
The coroner’s office said King was shot four times — twice in the torso, once in the thigh and another time in the shoulder — and grazed by a bullet across his front groin area.
The two men had met earlier in the day after different people invited them to the same croquet party in Boulder.
Sebastian and King did not previously know each other, but witnesses at the party indicated the two might have been fighting over a woman at the party.
Sebastian has claimed self-defense.
Mitchell Byars: 303-473-1329, firstname.lastname@example.org or twitter.com/mitchellbyars