CHICAGO (AP) _ The man whose videotaped confession to two killings freed another man from death row last week has surrendered to police.

Alstory Simon, 48, was formally charged Sunday with the 1982 killings of two teen-agers. His estranged wife, Inez Jackson, also surrendered to Chicago police and was charged with obstruction of justice for keeping her husband's role in the slayings a secret, authorities said.

They both were scheduled to appear in bond court today.

Anthony Porter, now 43, was freed Friday from Cook County Jail after 17 years behind bars. Last September, he was within two days of execution for the killings when the Illinois Supreme Court decided to review his case because of his low IQ.

Witnesses in the case against Porter have now allegedly recanted their testimony.

Simon, of Milwaukee, plans to plead innocent to the charges, said his lawyer, Jack Rimland.

In a telephone interview with WTMJ-AM in Milwaukee, Rimland said Simon's videotaped comments ``indicated he was acting in self-defense, based on my viewing of it.''

Police say Simon confessed Wednesday to the fatal shootings of Jerry Hillard, 18, and Marilyn Green, 19, while being questioned on videotape by Chicago private investigator Paul Ciolino.

Ciolino worked on the case with journalism students from Northwestern University, who also say they obtained a confession in a previously videotaped interview.

Porter is the 10th inmate freed from death row in Illinois since the death penalty was reinstated in 1977.

The charges against Porter will not be dismissed until prosecutors review the videotapes of Simon and other evidence, said Asst. State's Atty. Thomas Gainer.