Suspect Surrenders In Wilkes-Barre Twp.

September 28, 2018
1 of 3

Authorities Close In On Murder Suspect In Wilkes-Barre Twp.

WILKES-BARRE TWP. — Murder suspect Kyon Dane McDonald emerged and surrendered after police set off a second concussion grenade following a siege on Friday afternoon.

The negotiator could be heard telling him to get on the ground and keep his hands behind his head.

“Thank you for your cooperation,” the negotiator said. “I appreciate it.” Police responed to East Northampton Street searching a large home across from the U.S. Gas Station. They were looking for McDonald, 34, of 145 Blair St., Plymouth, who is the suspect in the deadline shooting in Plymouth on Thursday.

Police wearing ballistic vests and carrying riot shields were seen surrounding the home while armed with assault rifles, with a police dog at the ready. East Northampton Street is closed between Watson Street and North Walnunt Street.

Members of the state police Special Emergency Response Team have arrived on scene wearing camouflage fatigues and and gearing up. Troopers have expanded the perimeter and are pushing everyone back a few blocks. State troopers SERT members are continuing to arrive on scene and are now accompanied by an armored assault vehicle. Troopers have evacuated neighboring properties as well as other units of the apartment building where McDonald is believed to be hiding. Police took to a bullhorn Friday afternoon to urge McDonald to surrender, while snipers had their rifles trained on the home. “Kyon McDonald we are outside your house,” an negotiator said. “Your house is surrounded. We know you’re in there.” The negotiator directed McDonald to come out with his hands up, and promised police would not hurt him. The officer then warned police would not leave without him. “We will make entry into the house,” he said. When McDonald failed to emerge after a few minutes, police set off a concussion grenade, causing curious neighbors to jump in surprise. The negotiator then began urging McDonald to come out once more, McDonald is wanted on charges alleging he fatally shot Tierees Owens, 33, of Plymouth, during an argument outside Robby Nick’s Sports Bar at 177 E. Main St. According to the charges, police were called to the bar — which was the site of another deadly shooting in July 2017 — shortly before 2:30 a.m. Thursday. Owens, who was lying on the ground outside the bar, was taken to Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, troopers said. Owens sustained multiple gunshot wounds and the Luzerne County Coroner’s Office ruled the death a homicide. The bar owner, Robert Nicoletti Jr., told police his bartender called to inform him about a disturbance involving multiple people outside the bar shortly before the shooting took place. Nicoletti, who was a few doors down at Bottle Caps bar, walked over to his establishment and began talking with Owens, the charges said. As they talked, they walked toward the nearby Press Box sports bar, but then Owens turned and ran back toward the area of the disturbance, police said. Nicoletti reported hearing a gunshot behind him and then turning around to see McDonald, whom he knows as “Scoob,” shoot Owens several more times, the complaint said. Nicoletti knows McDonald as the boyfriend of a former bartender at Robby Nick’s, police said. Investigators got surveillance footage from Robby Nick’s, which shows McDonald in the bar around 1:45 a.m. Exterior footage shows Owens approach an altercation between two unidentified men outside the bar, police said. As he approaches, McDonald opens fire with a handgun and shoots him multiple times, according to police. Magisterial District Judge Donald L. Whittaker signed a warrant Thursday charging McDonald with an open count of criminal homicide.

Update hourly