AP NEWS

Fire officials say natural gas leak caused Bridgeport fire

November 15, 2018

BRIDGEPORT — A resident was hospitalized with slight burns and smoke inhalation Wednesday morning after a fire caused by a natural gas leak, fire officials said.

Bridgeport fire units rushed to the 50 block of Ives Court around 10:30 a.m. for a report of a fire in a 2.5-story home. A fire rescue company happened to be in the area and was able to quickly respond.

When firefighters got to the scene, they found a fire in the kitchen, which was caused by a natural gas leak, said Assistant Chief Rich Donofrio of Battalion 1.

The fire was on the second floor, where the resident of that floor suffered some burns to his hair and smoke inhalation, Donofrio said.

“(Firefighters) were able to stop the fire and keep it from extending,” he said, adding that units remained at the home for a couple of hours.

While fire units were at the Ives Court home, the water, gas and electric were shut down.

Donofrio said beyond repairs to whatever caused the gas leak, the home will also need repairs on a water pipe that broke.

“The house needs repairs,” he said. “There’s no utilities right now. ... It’s a mess.”

The person who lives on the first floor wasn’t home at the time of the fire, but showed up while firefighters were still working on the fire, Donofrio said. Red Cross was called to help that resident find temporary living quarters while the home undergoes repairs.

The resident taken for medical treatment will also be helped with relocation efforts once he is released from the hospital, Donofrio said.

AP RADIO
Update hourly