HOCKEY Bruins tie Loomis Chaffee in opener

November 30, 2018

It wasn’t a victory, but Brunswick School and Loomis Chaffee School each exited Thursday’s season-opening hockey matchup pretty satisfied with the final result.

The Pelicans battled back from a two-goal deficit, then the Bruins tallied the equalizer, after trailing by a goal in a hard-fought 3-3 tie before a big crowd at Hartong Rink.

The defending NEPSAC Class A Division I Large School champion Bruins found themselves trailing 3-2 late in the third period, after building a two-goal advantage. With the minutes dwindling down, Brunswick sophomore forward Ryan St. Louis scored with 1:55 remaining in the third period, making it 3-3. St. Louis who knocked in a rebound from close in, was set up by senior captain Charles Shaffer and sophomore forward Erik Anderson on the game-tying goal.

“I like the start that we had to the game,” Brunswick first-year coach Mike Kennedy said. “Loomis started strong and we weathered the storm. We got the puck to the net and got a couple of goals.”

Leading 2-0 following an impressive first period, the Pelicans seized the momentum in the second period. Alex Krause, Chris Avallone and Thomas Costello each talled during the second period for the Pelicans (0-1-1). Costello’s goal came with Brunswick on a power play. He stole the puck in the Bruins’ zone, skated in and put a wrister past Bruins senior goalie Dan Dachille late in the second period.

Dachille, one of the Bruins’ captains, made 31 saves in goal.

“We scored two in the first period, then we kind of let down and Loomis got the momentum,” Dachille said. “Then we got the momentum back in the third period. We shut the door in overtime, despite not getting a goal. It was a good first game for us.”

Sophomore forward Matthew McGroarty gave Brunswick a 1-0 lead at the 8:55 mark of the first period. With the Bruins applying pressure in the Pelican’s zone, McGroarty beat Pelicans goalie Kyle Chauvette to his stick side for the game’s first goal. Paul Davey and senior Aaron Aboodi, one of the captains, each assisted on the goal.

The Bruins extended their edge to 2-0, scoring off a well-executed faceoff play. Michael Salandra, a sophomore forward, knocked the puck past Chauvette from close in off a rebound 12:24 into the first period.

Chauvette made 25 saves for the visitors.

“To see how we fought back after they took the lead is a positive,” Shaffer said. “We’re pretty happy about the result, last year we lost to Loomis in our first game of the season. After winning the title last year, we’ve been waiting for the puck to drop to start our season.”

Senior defensemen Cooper Moore and Henry Hill paced the Bruins’ defensive effort.

“Loomis will be a highly-ranked team this year, so this was not a bad result,” Kennedy said. “It started with our goaltending. Dan held the fort after their three-goal second period and did a great job.”


Update hourly