Day in History: County may acquire war surplus trucks
1994 – 25 years ago
• John Hunziker will take over as president of the Rochester City Council after defeating Jean McConnell in the city election. Two incumbents, Chuck Canfield and Dave Senjem, were returned to the Rochester City Council.
• Paul Wilson was elected to serve Southeast Rochester on the Olmsted County Board.
1969 – 50 years ago
• The Marion Common School District will soon become part of the new giant Rochester-area Independent School District No. 535. The Marion school, first constructed 99 years ago, will no longer be used. The Marion community was settled in the spring of 1854 and the school district was organized in the fall of 1855.
• Three city high schools have selected girls and boys state representatives. They are Jean Traeger and Richard Ehrick of John Marshall, Susan Macken and Kevin Galegher of Lourdes, and Ann Bulger and Mark Warren of Mayo. The events are sponsored by the American Legion and Auxiliary.
1944 – 75 years ago
• The benefit concert for the Sister Mary Joseph Endowment fund for Saint Marys School of Nursing, presented last evening, was a superbly artistic achievement. Dr. Andries Roodenburg’s mastery of the violin was a delight to all who attended. Dr. J. B. Bateman, a young Briton and fellow in the Mayo Foundation, was the assisting artist.
• The ninth annual Mother and Daughter party of the Pioneer Presbyterian church at Chatfield was held with 160 attending.
1919 – 100 years ago
• Dr. C. H. Mayo has called attention to the fact that Olmsted County may secure Army motor trucks for road construction. More than $4,500,000 worth of trucks, some of them practically new, will be distributed by the secretary of agriculture. They have been declared surplus by the war department. Olmsted County may get their share by making applications in a timely manner.
• Formulation of many branches of the American Legion is underway in many Minnesota cities. It appears there may be an effort here soon to establish a chapter.
From news services
Ten years ago
In a rare, bipartisan defeat for President Barack Obama, the Senate voted overwhelmingly, 90-6, to keep the prison at Guantanamo Bay open for the foreseeable future and forbid the transfer of any detainees to facilities in the United States. A commission published a damning report on decades of rapes, humiliation and beatings at Catholic Church-run reform schools in Ireland. Suspended NFL star Michael Vick was released after 19 months in prison for running a dogfighting ring to begin two months’ home confinement. An Indonesian C-130 Hercules military plane carrying troops and their families crashed in East Java province, killing 99 people. Kris Allen won the eighth season of “American Idol,” defeating fellow finalist Adam Lambert.
Five years ago
In Kentucky’s primary, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell dispatched his tea party challenger, Matt Bevin, with ease; Democrats chose Alison Lundergan Grimes to oppose McConnell in the fall (McConnell went on to win). Pennsylvania’s ban on gay marriage was overturned by a federal judge. A group of retired professional football players filed suit against the NFL, accusing the league of cynically supplying them with powerful painkillers and other drugs that kept them in the game but led to serious complications later in life. Two car bombs hit a busy bus terminal and a market in the central Nigerian city of Jos, killing at least 118 people.
One year ago
Venezuelan officials declared socialist leader Nicolas Maduro the easy winner of the country’s presidential election; his leading challenger questioned the legitimacy of a vote marred by irregularities.
Actor-author James McEachin is 89. Actor Anthony Zerbe is 83. Actor David Proval is 77. Singer-actress Cher is 73. Actor-comedian Dave Thomas is 71. Rock musician Warren Cann is 69. Former New York Gov. David Paterson is 65. Actor Dean Butler is 63. TV-radio personality Ron Reagan is 61. Rock musician Jane Wiedlin (The Go-Go’s) is 61. Actor Bronson Pinchot is 60. Singer Susan Cowsill is 60. Actor John Billingsley is 59. Actor Tony Goldwyn is 59. Singer Nick Heyward is 58. TV personality Ted Allen is 54. Actress Gina Ravera is 53. Actor Timothy Olyphant is 51. Former race car driver Tony Stewart is 48. Rapper Busta Rhymes is 47. Actress Daya Vaidya is 46. Rock musician Ryan Martinie is 44. Actor Matt Czuchry is 42. Actress Angela Goethals is 42. Actress-singer Naturi Naughton is 35. Country singer Jon Pardi is 34.