Related topics

Parolee Captured After Shootout

August 9, 1999

FOLSOM, Calif. (AP) _ A parolee in a recreational vehicle led police on a high-speed chase that finished in a fiery crash, setting off a seven-hour manhunt that ended early today when he was shot and dragged out of the American River.

Michael Sullivan, 35, was apprehended about 3 a.m. along the river’s brush-filled banks after more than 50 officers using helicopters, dogs and night-vision goggles joined in the chase on the streets of Sacramento and Folsom, about 20 miles to the east.

Sullivan exchanged more gunfire at the end, and was pulled from the river after being wounded by officers. No officers were hurt, although he put up considerable resistance, sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Rick Gibson said.

He was handcuffed and taken to University of California, Davis Medical Center, where he was listed in serious condition.

Attempted murder of a police officer is only the beginning of a long list of charges Sullivan now faces, Gibson said.

Sullivan was paroled after serving 7 1/2 years in prison for voluntary manslaughter, corrections records show. He is a member of the ``Sacramaniacs,″ a white supremacist prison gang known for selling drugs and weapons, Gibson said.

Sullivan had been under surveillance, accused of drug violations and evading police by fleeing a checkpoint for drunken drivers, Gibson said.

The pursuit began about 7:30 p.m. Sunday after police tried to apprehend Sullivan just east of Sacramento. Instead, he drove off, firing at officers from his RV as they pursued him on city streets.

Several miles later, after he crossed a bridge across the river, officers put a spike strip across the roadway to stop the RV, which crashed down a ravine.

Sullivan came out shooting, and at least two officers returned fire, but no one was injured, said California Highway Patrol officer Max Hartley.

As Sullivan fled, the crashed vehicle burned. Police decided to let the fire burn itself out and wait for daylight before checking to see whether anyone else had been in the gutted vehicle, Gibson said.

SWAT team members and law enforcement authorities warned Folsom residents to stay indoors during the chase.

Update hourly