Longmont Police Release Name of Man Shot and Killed by Officers

September 21, 2018

Longmont police officers are seen investigating an officer-involved shooting Thursday near the Regal Cinemas 12 at Village at the Peaks in Longmont. A man was shot and killed after being contacted by police about a warrant. Police said the man was carrying a hand gun.

Longmont police have identified the man who was shot and killed by officers Thursday night in the Village at the Peaks.

Gillie Thurby, 28, of Longmont, was shot after officers saw him reach for a handgun , according to Longmont Police Deputy Chief Jeff Satur.

Three officers had responded to the Regal Cinema in the outdoor shopping center around 9:45 p.m. to track Thurby, who was wanted on a felony failure to appear warrant out of Boulder County.

According to Satur, charges on the warrant included sexual assault on a child while in a position of trust, aggravated incest, sexual exploitation of a child, sexual exploitation of a child/more than 20 videos on a cell phone, sexual exploitation of a child/more than 20 videos on a tablet, and violation of bond conditions.

Thurby also had attempted to buy a firearm on Sept. 11 in Loveland, according to Satur, which was in violation of a protection order issued by Boulder County District Court that prohibited him from owning or buying a firearm.

He was denied the purchase, because of his criminal history.

The police, as well as the Boulder County Critical Incident Team, are investigating how Thurby purchased or received the firearm he had at the time of the shooting.

Satur initially reported that four officers responded to the movie theater to arrest Thurby, but during the course of the investigation overnight it was determined only three were at the scene. Two were in uniform and one, who was training, was in plainclothes but identified as an officer, he said.

Police contacted Thurby near the fire pit outside the main entrance to the theater and tried to arrest him. However, he was armed with a handgun, Satur said.

Officers first used a Taser on Thurby, but then shot him when he pulled a gun from his waistband, Satur said. Two officers fired multiple rounds, and Thurby died at the scene.

Satur said they are not releasing the names of the involved officers at this time due to safety concerns with Thurby’s family.

“There were some implied threats” when police notified the family of what happened, he said. ”(...) We take our officers’ safety very seriously, and the safety of our families.”

The two officers who fired their weapons are on paid administrative leave, per department policy, Satur said.

The Boulder County Critical Incident Team, a multi-agency task force, will investigate the shooting and present its findings to Boulder County District Attorney Michael Dougherty, who will decide whether to file criminal charges against the officers involved.

Any witnesses to the shooting who have not yet talked with police are asked to call Longmont police Sgt. Matt Cage at 303-651-8520.

Madeline St. Amour: 303-684-5212, mstamour@prairiemountainmedia.com

Update hourly