SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A heat lamp used to keep a pet snake warm is being blamed for a fire that displaced eight people from their multifamily Springfield house.

Fire department spokesman Dennis Leger (LED'-zhuhr) says no one was injured in the Grover Street blaze reported at about 4:45 p.m. Sunday.

Leger tells The Republican (http://bit.ly/MHR1Re ) that the fire started on the top floor of the three-story building when the heat lamp fell over and burned a hole in the floor, spreading to the second floor.

Damage was estimated at $60,000.

The first floor of the building was vacant, but five adults and an infant lived on the third floor and one adult and a child on the second floor.

The snake died.

___

Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/