AP NEWS

Man pleads to sexually assaulting girls he contacted on Facebook

September 26, 2018

BRIDGEPORT - A local man is facing five years in prison after he pleaded guilty Wednesday to sexually assaulting two young sisters he contacted through Facebook.

Raymond Ortiz, 47, of Ruth Street, pleaded guilty before Superior Court Judge Frank Iannotti to fourth-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor.

Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Tatiana Messina said she will recommend that Ortiz serve a 5-year prison term but the judge said he will allow Ortiz’s lawyer, Peter Stark, to argue for a lesser term when Ortiz is sentenced Nov. 14.

Police said they were contacted last year by New York City police regarding a sex assault complaint by the parents of the two girls, aged 8 and 12, who live in the Bronx.

Police said earlier in 2017, the girls had been contacted on Facebook by Ortiz. During a video chat session with the girls, police said Ortiz posted a video of him masturbating.

In response, police said the younger girl messaged Ortiz, “Don’t do that. My dad says I’m not supposed to see that.”

Police said the girls’ father later reported the incident to New York City police and handed over a copy of the video he had made from the Facebook message.

In August 2017, police said the two girls were attended a family barbecue here when they were approached by Ortiz who offered them cookies if they would walk with him.

Once the girls were out of sight of their parents, police said Ortiz exposed himself to the girls and touched them through their clothes.

The girls then ran and told their parents what had happened.

Police said they later identified Ortiz from the Facebook video he had sent the girls.

AP RADIO
Update hourly