AP NEWS

Fire Forces Evacuation At Assisted Living Facility

November 22, 2018

WILKES-BARRE — Emergency crews from Wilkes-Barre and several neighboring towns helped evacuate and shelter 61 residents of an assisted living facility Tuesday night after a fire broke out in a laundry room. The residents of North Penn Manor spent several hours at an American Red Cross shelter several doors down before being allowed back in the building. “We were presented with two challenges. We had a fire and we had 61 residents in the cold, mostly in their night clothes — and it was a cold night out,” Fire Chief Jay Delaney said. The blaze was reported around 9:35 p.m. after employees of nearby Falzone’s Towing spotting flames shooting from a window. Delaney said staff did a great job evacuating everyone from the building on North Sherman Street. Ambulance crews from Hanover and Plains townships, Kingston and Trans-Med helped the city transport residents to the temporary shelter. Fire crews contained the blaze to the laundry room. Delaney said a sprinkler in the room helped keep the fire from spreading. Residents were allowed back in the facility around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. About 10 people who lived near the laundry room temporarily were being housed in another part of the building, he said. The fire, which started in a commercial dryer, was ruled accidental. Contact the writer: bkalinowski@citizensvoice.com 570-821-2055, @cvbobkal

AP RADIO
Update hourly