Boxing matches at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot have been susp
SAN DIEGO (AP) _ Boxing matches at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot have been suspended until Marine officials complete their investigation into a boxing-match injury that left a recruit from Illinois near death, authorities said Wednesday.
Pvt. Paul Resce, 18, of Romeoville, Ill., has been in critical condition and on life support systems at Balboa Naval Hospital since Sunday, when he suffered a brain injury while fighting another recruit in a three-round match, depot spokesman Maj. Jerry Broeckert said Wednesday night.
The parents of Resce, who suffered a subdural hemotoma, are in San Diego to be with their son, Broeckert said.
On Tuesday, Marine officials announced that Lt. Col. Kenneth Sandstrom would review boxing safety procedures and Resce’s medical history but that there were no immediate plans to suspend future boxing matches.
Late Wednesday, however, Maj. Gen. Donald Fulham, the depot’s commander, decided to call off pending matches until Sandstrom completed his investigation.
Fulham made the decision after being briefed by Sandstrom on the progress of the reveiw, Broeckert said. He added that the lieutenant colonel has been directed to report back to Fulham within 30 days.
Both Resce and the recruit he was fighting were novice boxers and had volunteered to participate in the exercise, which is intended to develop self- confidence and courage, Broeckert said.
Resce collapsed into the referee’s arms during the third round. Both recruits were wearing the required safety equipment during the match.
Broeckert said the boxing matches between recruits had been held once a week, on Sundays. Only recruits who were in their 10th week of boot camp could participate. Basic training lasts 11 weeks.