A man who said he went to the hospital with food poisoning after dining at Pasha Mediterranean Grill is suing the restaurant for up to $1 million.
Brady Passant filed a lawsuit Friday claiming that he began to experience “nausea, chills and vomiting” the day after eating at the San Antonio restaurant Aug. 30. His symptoms worsened, he states in the lawsuit, and “was in such intense pain” that he went to one of Baptist Emergency Hospital’s locations for treatment.
Passant is seeking damages for medical care and expenses, pain and suffering and loss of wage earning capacity, according to the lawsuit.
The Metropolitan Health District is trying to identify the source of a suspected salmonella outbreak at the restaurant. As of 4 p.m. Friday, they had received more than 300 phone calls, with 255 coming from people who said they fell ill after dining at the restaurant between Aug. 30 and Wednesday, the Express-News reported.
Fourteen have shown laboratory evidence of being sickened by salmonella and a dozen people have been hospitalized, Metro Health spokeswoman Carol Schliesinger said Friday. Metro Health officials said they are still in the initial phases of the investigation.
Officials said the restaurant owners, who noted this has never happened before in their restaurants, have been “very cooperative.”
Pasha co-owner Kamran Hajivandi said Friday that the health department told him hummus might be to blame, but he said he wasn’t sure how chickpeas could have made so many people sick.