AP NEWS

Hartford Archdiocese to name priests accused of sexual abuse

December 16, 2018

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The Archdiocese of Hartford plans to release the names of priests who were credibly accused of sexual abuse.

The Hartford Courant reports Archbishop Leonard Blair said the archdiocese will also hire someone to do an independent review of personnel files dating back to 1953.

Blair said in a statement that the names will be published next month. Blair’s message was read before weekend masses at several churches.

The Diocese of Bridgeport earlier this year announced a similar review of priest files.

Several Roman Catholic bishops urged colleagues last month to take some sort of action on the clergy sex abuse crisis. A grand jury report released in August in Pennsylvania detailed decades of abuse and cover-up in six dioceses, alleging more than 1,000 children had been abused over the years by about 300 priests.

AP RADIO
Update hourly