Day in History: First blizzard of 1919 hits Olmsted County
1994 – 25 years ago
• After two years of sitting vacant, Kenyon’s medical building will reopen as a Mayo Clinic family practice. Kenyon Mayor John Cole said the town is relieved to have health care nearby once again.
1969 – 50 years ago
• A 9 percent pay boost will jump the Rochester Fire and Police Chief salaries to $1,127 per month. The full-time city attorney will now be paid $1,666 per month.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Wanted: Men or women for training to fill big-paying defense jobs. Grade school education is sufficient and special arrangements will be made for farm girls. Apply at the Minnesota Defense Training School.
• Of the 21 selectees sent by the Fillmore County draft board, 19 were accepted – nearly all by the Navy. The navy draftees will report for duty next week.
1919 – 100 years ago
• The first blizzard of the season struck Olmsted County last night. Brisk winds and heavy snow created huge drifts and impassable roads. Citizens are reminded to shovel sidewalks.