Click to copy
Click to copy

Mauston woman arrested after allegedly imprisoning, hitting woman in head with bat

Christopher JardineMay 22, 2019

A Mauston woman was arrested May 20 after police asked for the public’s assistance in locating her, and is now facing multiple felony charges.

Linda Heyroth, 57, of Mauston is charged with felony counts of aggravated battery, first degree recklessly endangering safety, intimidation of a victim, and false imprisonment, and misdemeanor counts of criminal damage to property and disorderly conduct.

She faces up to 15 years in prison or a fine of up to $50,000, or both, for the aggravated battery charge; 12 years in prison or a fine of up to $25,000, or both, for the recklessly endangering safety charge; 10 years in prison or a fine of up to $25,000, or both, for the intimidation of a victim charge; and six years in prison or a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for the false imprisonment charge.

According to the criminal complaint:

At about 2:42 p.m. May 19 the Juneau County Communication Center dispatched Mauston Police Officer Brian Raabe to a report of a female bleeding from the head near the Dairy Isle at 917 W. State St. in Mauston.

Raabe arrived on scene and observed a woman sitting on the curb with large amounts of blood streaming from the back of her head. Raabe called an ambulance, then spoke with the person who reported the bleeding woman. The reporting party said the woman flagged her down on the side of the road to stop and help.

The officer spoke with the bleeding woman, asking her what happened.

The woman was visibly upset, and said, “Linda Heyroth! She used a baseball bat! Just for asking her to be quiet. She wouldn’t let me out of the house! She smashed my phone so I can’t call!”

Raabe began applying a fresh gauze pad to the woman’s head, and continued speaking with her.

When asked if Heyroth attacked her, the woman said “yes.” Asked if Heyroth was at her residence, the woman said, “She was but I ran away. She chased me out. Blood’s all over the house. She’s trying to scrub it up. She made me clean up twice.”

Raabe continued assisting the woman with gauze until an ambulance arrived. The woman stated that only she and Heyroth were at Heyroth’s residence.

Raabe, Deputy Mike Coughlin, and Deputy Brian Bader responded to Heyroth’s residence on Remington Road in Mauston. When Raabe approached the front door, Bader advised he observed blood appearing fresh and wet on the outside of the door.

Knocking on the door, Raabe announced himself as a police officer, but received no response. After trying two additional times to no response, the officers attempted to contact Heyroth via a phone number provided by the Juneau County Communication Center, but received no response. The officers left the residence, with Raabe heading to the Mile Bluff Medical Center Emergency Room to continue speaking with the woman.

Raabe asked the woman what happened between her and Heyroth, to which the woman said, “I was going to die. She wouldn’t let me… she smashed my phone, wouldn’t let me call nowhere. Wouldn’t let me out the door and put a shovel under the door. I would have died if I wouldn’t of gotten away.

The woman said that she and Heyroth argued about politics, saying, “If you don’t agree she gets louder, she’ll keep saying it, and she won’t stop.”

Asked what type of bat Heyroth used to assault her, the woman said she believed it was metal because it was silver, but was unsure.

“She wasn’t stopping… she almost, even when I was just sitting there she was contemplating whether to finish me off,” she said. “She hit me in the head a lot of times all over… she was going for the kill. When it was done… she made me, she made me go wash up two different times so I can’t talk.”

Raabe asked if Heyroth had held her inside the residence against her will, to which she replied, “Yes, she was. She put a shovel under the door and smashed my phone so I couldn’t call for help.”

Asked how long the attack lasted, the woman said about 45 minutes. She also said that she was weak and dizzy from the repeated attacks. She said she believed Heyroth was “fighting with herself to finish me off.”

The woman said after the third attack from Heyroth, she was ordered to go to the bathroom and clean herself up. She told Heyroth she was unable to get up on her own and asked Heyroth for a wet towel. When Heyroth went to the rear of the trailer to the bathroom, she removed the shovel and opened the door, where she left with Heyroth chasing her.

The woman kept running until she was able to flag a passerby down for help.

After recapping events with the woman once more, Raabe was informed the woman was being transferred to Madison for further treatment.

Raabe and Bader returned to Heyroth’s residence again at about 4:59 p.m. May 19 to attempt contact with Heyroth, but were unsuccessful.

At 10:11 p.m., the Mauston Police Department sent a request via Facebook to the public asking for assistance in locating Heyroth in connection with an attempted homicide.

The police department sent a further update at 3:18 p.m. May 20 informing the public that Heyroth was taken into custody by the New Lisbon Police Department, and thanked the community for sending tips.

A cash bond of $75,000 for Heyroth was set May 21. Heyroth is scheduled for an initial appearance at the Juneau County Justice Center June 5.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.