Chesapeake woman found competent to stand trial in killing

August 8, 2018

IRONTON — A Chesapeake, Ohio, woman charged with stabbing her husband 35 times and stuffing his body in a refrigerator has been found competent to stand trial, according to Lawrence County Prosecuting Attorney Brigham Anderson.

Tina M. (Adkins) Campbell, 43, of the 600 block of Rockwood Avenue, has pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of aggravated murder and tampering with evidence.

Lawrence County Common Pleas Judge Charles “Chuck” Cooper ordered Campbell to undergo an evaluation at Court Clinic Forensic Services earlier this year. The evaluation came back that she was competent to stand trial.

Cooper set the case for trial Oct. 1. Anderson said the case could take a week to try.

Michael A. Davenport, defense counsel for Campbell, asked earlier this year to retain an expert to support her plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. Davenport believes Campbell is currently unable to assist in her own defense.

Cooper agreed to a defense motion to retain Dr. Kenneth Manges to evaluate Campbell and testify on her behalf at trial as well as assisting them in the defense of the woman, according to court records. Manges will be paid a flat fee of $5,000 for the evaluation and report on the defendant’s mental state with regard to the plea of not guilty by reason of insanity as well as her competence to stand trial.

“It is expected that the state will offer testimony from police officers, physicians and others who will testify and other opinions based upon their own interpretation of the evidence,” Davenport, an Ironton attorney, said in a memorandum.

“With a critically limited or nonexistent understanding of how the defendant’s mental state may have affected her actions, thoughts, statements and mental state before, during and after the alleged crime, counsel cannot adequately defend Ms. Campbell,” Davenport said.

Campbell is charged with killing her husband of five years, David Adkins, last year, wrapping his body in plastic and stuffing it into an operational refrigerator in their home on Rockwood Avenue.

Update hourly