AP NEWS
Related topics

U.N. Indicts Croatian Ex-Army Chief

September 20, 2002

%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)

ZAGREB, Croatia (AP) _ Croatia’s wartime army chief of staff has been indicted by the U.N. war crimes court, Prime Minister Ivica Racan said Thursday.

Racan told parliament that the court in The Hague, Netherlands, had requested Croatian authorities to question Gen. Janko Bobetko, 83, ``in his capacity as an indictee.″

The government said it still had not received a copy of the indictment and could not immediately detail the charges against Bobetko, who vowed earlier this week ``never to surrender″ to the court.

Croatian media have speculated about the indictment against Bobetko for weeks, saying he is accused of responsibility in the 1993 killing of dozens of Serbs in the central Croatian area known as the Medak Pocket.

The retired general was one of the leading figures of Croatia’s 1991 war for independence. The war ended four years later when Zagreb recaptured a third of Croatian territory seized by the Serb rebels in 1991.

The Hague court so far has publicly indicted two Croats, both former army generals, for alleged war crimes.

AP RADIO
Update hourly