Delivery Robot Catches Fire

December 19, 2018

Kiwibot autonomous delivery robots have been rolling around the University of California, Berkeley campus for two years.

On Friday, students found one of the robots in flames and shared photos on social media.

Kiwi said the cause was a “defective battery” that had been accidentally installed in the robot.

“One of the batteries for our robot that was idling started smouldering, eventually leading to some smoke and minor flames,” the company said in a statement.

“A member of the community acted swiftly to extinguish the flames using a nearby fire extinguisher.”

After discovering the California fire, Kiwi suspended all its vehicles and delivered food orders by hand.

The company said it would introduce measures to ensure the “rare occurrence” did not happen again.

Update hourly