US man comes home 18 years after abduction
GREENFIELD, Indiana (AP) — A U.S. man has returned home 18 years after authorities say his mother abducted him and took him to Mexico.
The Hancock County Sheriff’s Department and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children announced Tuesday that Nathan Slinkard returned to Indiana last week.
Slinkard, his brother and sister had been missing since October 1995, when authorities say their mother failed to return them despite a court order. Slinkard was 5 years old at the time and is now 23.
Authorities say Slinkard walked into the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara on Jan. 27 and asked to return home. Two days later, he arrived in Indianapolis, where he was reunited with his father and aunt.
Sheriff’s Department Lt. Ted Munden, the last local investigator in the case, said Slinkard hadn’t divulged the locations of his brother and sister but said they were safe and unconfined.
Munden said both apparently know they are free to return to the U.S. if they desire.