Related topics

Hotel Bomb Has Many Convinced That ‘Troubles’ Are Back

July 15, 1996

BELFAST, Northern Ireland (AP) _ A week of rioting capped by a car bomb at a country hotel has left many in Northern Ireland convinced that ``the troubles″ are returning to the British province.

The Irish Republican Army denied that it planted the bomb that exploded early Sunday outside the Killyhevlin Hotel in Enniskillen _ the first in Northern Ireland since the IRA stopped its violent campaign against British rule in 1994.

But many Protestant residents were skeptical.

``People kidded themselves about the peace. They couldn’t see the truth about the IRA,″ said Jim Dixon, 58, who was blinded and lost several close friends in a 1987 IRA bombing in the same town.

The bombing crowned the worst week of rioting seen here in a generation.

The violence abated but didn’t disappear from the streets early today. In Belfast, Catholic nationalists threw about 50 gasoline bombs at a police station. No one was hurt.

In Downpatrick, the town were St. Patrick is is believed to be buried 18 miles southeast of Belfast, Catholic rioters threw gasoline bombs at police and burned cars. Three tanker trucks, all empty, were set afire at a fuel depot in Armagh, 35 miles southwest of Belfast.

In London, police said they seized bomb-making material while making several arrests. They did not release details.

No one was injured in Sunday’s bombing at the hotel, a social hub for the lakeside town of Enniskillen. It had been packed with a Roman Catholic wedding party, bar guests, tourists and fishermen when a caller warned hotel staff there was a bomb in a car parked outside. All 250 guests were evacuated.

Twenty-five minutes later, an Isuzu Trooper _ stolen 11 days ago in Dublin _ exploded with 1,200 pounds of homemade explosives.

The blast knocked people to their feet, but only three people were slightly injured. Scores were treated for shock.

The recent bout of violence erupted July 7 when police blocked members of the Orange Order, Northern Ireland’s dominant Protestant fraternal group, from marching through a Catholic part of Portadown, a town 25 miles southwest of Belfast.

Militant Protestants subjected Northern Ireland to four days of rioting, and police backed down on Thursday and forced the march through the Catholic area. Catholic fury spilled onto the streets.

For three nights, police and soldiers repelled mobs of Catholics who hurled gasoline bombs, bricks and rocks at them in Belfast and Londonderry, the province’s second-largest and predominantly Catholic town where Northern Ireland’s ``troubles″ began with similar scenes in 1969.

Sunday’s hotel bombing reinforced the fear that Northern Ireland is sliding back into murder and grief.

``This whole (peace) process is very, very much off the rails, and only a miracle’s going to save it in the short term,″ said veteran journalist Eamonn Mallie. Trust among the key players _ the north’s largest pro-British Protestant and Irish Catholic parties, and the British and Irish governments _ has evaporated, he said.

And the IRA’s paramilitary enemies, gangs loyal to Britain from militant Protestant areas, are threatening to resume killing Catholics. The two main loyalist groups called a cease-fire in October 1994.

``I think we’re on our way to hell and back.″ said David Ervine, a politician linked to the outlawed, paramilitary Ulster Volunteer Force. ``I don’t know how it can be retrieved.″

That prospect scares people like Darrell Robinson, a 23-year-old Protestant worker at the Enniskillen Golf Club, a half-mile from the devastated hotel.

``The `troubles’ have been around longer than me. You were glad to have the peace, that’s all,″ he said. ``Hopefully, it’s not all been blown away.″

Update hourly