Update on the latest sports
Update on the latest sports
Sep. 02, 2018
Serena faces Kanepi, Nadal seeks US Open quarterfinals
NEW YORK (AP) — Serena Williams felt she played her best match since her return to tennis while routing her sister in the last round. She'll need to be sharp again Sunday when she and Kaia Kanepi meet in a fourth-round match. The 44th-ranked Estonian upset top-ranked Simona Halep in the first round and is seeking her second consecutive quarterfinal in Flushing Meadows.
Seventeenth-seeded Serena routed Venus 6-1, 6-2 Friday in matching the most-lopsided victory in the Williams sisters' series.
U.S. Open champions Rafael Nadal and Sloane Stephens also are in action Sunday.
Nadal faces Nikoloz Basilashvili of Georgia and a victory for the top-ranked player could set up a quarterfinal matchup with No. 5 seed Kevin Anderson, whom he beat for last year's title.
Ohtani set to pitch again
UNDATED (AP) — Angels rookie Shohei Ohtani (SHOH'-hay oh-TAH'-nee) is set to pitch Sunday night against the Astros at Minute Maid Park. The two-way sensation from Japan hasn't been on the mound in the majors since spraining the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow nearly three months ago.
Ohtani excelled in his first nine starts before getting hurt, going 4-1 with a 3.10 ERA. He's continued to do well at the plate as a designated hitter.
Gerrit Cole starts for AL West-leading Houston.
Elsewhere on the Sunday schedule:
— There's a marquee matchup in Philadelphia this afternoon as Aaron Nola starts for playoff-contending Philies against Jon Lester and the NL Central-leading Cubs. Nola is 15-3 with a 2.10 ERA and has only given up more than two runs once in his last 12 starts. Lester is 14-5 with a 3.67 ERA.
— Twins manager Paul Molitor says he will use a reliever as the starter in the series finale at Texas, and is leaning toward lefty Gabriel Moya. It would be the 23-year-old Moya's first career start after 31 relief appearances over two seasons. Moya pitched a scoreless inning Friday in a 10-7 win.
Chargers re-sign tight end Antonio Gates for 16th season
UNDATED (AP) — Tight end Antonio Gates has re-signed with the Los Angeles Chargers for his 16th season. The Chargers announced a one-year deal Sunday with Gates, the leading receiver in franchise history.
The Chargers bade farewell to Gates in April, saying they wouldn't bring back the 38-year-old tight end. The Bolts' plans changed in May when starting tight end Hunter Henry tore a knee ligament during offseason workouts and was lost for the season.
Gates' 30 receptions last season were his fewest since his rookie year in 2003. He still set the NFL career record with his 112th touchdown reception as a tight end.
In other NFL news:
— The competition for the job of backup quarterback with the Miami Dolphins is headed into overtime. Coach Adam Gase declined to say Sunday whether Brock Osweiler or David Fales would be first off the bench to replace Ryan Tannehill, but the coach said he expects to keep all three quarterbacks all season. Gase said he may list the No. 2 quarterback as "Osweiler or Fales" on the depth chart preceding the season opener Sept. 9 at home against Tennessee.
Pulisic to miss US exhibitions
CHICAGO (AP) — Midfielder Christian Pulisic will miss the United States' exhibitions against Brazil and Mexico because of a muscle injury, and Sebastian Lletget will return to the national team for the first time since a severe foot injury in March 2017.
Interim coach Dave Sarachan selected 24 players Sunday for the matches, again bypassing veterans such as Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore. Sarachan replaced Bruce Arena last October after the U.S. failed to qualify for the World Cup and has given 18 players debuts in six games, including 10 age-eligible for the 2020 Olympics.
Aaron Long, a 25-year-old New York Red Bulls central defender, is the only player on the roster with no previous national team experience.
The U.S. plays Brazil on Friday at East Rutherford, New Jersey, and Mexico on Sept. 11 at Nashville, Tennessee.
Hamilton denies Ferrari a home win at Italian GP
MONZA, Italy (AP) — Lewis Hamilton denied Ferrari a dream home win at the Italian Grand Prix on Sunday as he overtook Kimi Raikkonen (KEE'-mee RAY'-koh-nehn) eight laps from the end to claim a fifth victory in seven years at Monza.
The Mercedes driver beat Raikkonen, who had started in pole, to tie Michael Schumacher's record of five Italian GP victories and extend his championship lead to 30 points over Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, who had a nightmare start.
Valtteri Bottas was third in his Mercedes, ahead of Vettel and Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who received a five-second penalty.