DETROIT (AP) _ Fire broke out today in an apartment building whose occupants are mostly elderly or disabled, and seven people were taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The midmorning fire started in an eighth floor apartment when a dresser ignited because it was too close to a space heater, said Deputy Fire Chief Gerald Lindow.

The outside temperature was 14 above zero. A shelter was set up in a church next door to the 12-story St. Paul's apartment building.

Resident Wilda Burns Marchbanks, 39, said she smelled smoke and she and her husband went down the stairs, stopping on each floor to bang on doors and rouse other residents.

``Some people would not come out,'' she said. ``They just looked at me. I said, `It's serious, it's serious, come on.'''

Firefighters said there was extensive smoke and window damage on the building's top five stories.

None of the injuries was life-threatening, said Deputy Police Chief Herman Curry.

The Red Cross said 170 people lived in the building.