Halle Berry Settles Homeowner Suit
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Actress Halle Berry has tentatively settled a $2 million counter suit she had filed against the previous owners of a Beverly Hills property where she planned to build a new home, her attorney said Wednesday.
Her lawsuit, initially filed in June, alleged former homeowners Jonathan and Alison Roth did not tell her the home needed $1 million in stabilization work.
That suit followed one filed by the Roths, who claim the actress knew about the condition of the property and bought it ``as-is.″
Berry’s attorney, Martin Singer, said the case was tentatively resolved last month. He would not reveal the terms of the settlement, which should become final in January.
Berry claims the house that she and husband Eric Benet paid more than $2 million for ``turned out to contain major undisclosed defects that would require over $1 million in corrective measures.″ Berry and Benet have since separated.
The 35-year-old Oscar winner claims she learned of the problems, which include numerous geological defects, only after the purchase was completed.