Shawn Walters to Miss One More Game
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Running back Shawn Walters, who was expected to return to action for Southern California against Houston on Saturday following a yearlong suspension, won’t play against the Cougars after all.
Walters, USC’s leading rusher in 1993 and 1994 and the 14th-leading rusher in Trojans history, will be withheld from competition pending the completion of a school investigation of a possible infraction involving events that occurred last year, the school said Thursday.
USC general counsel Robert Lane said the investigation should be concluded in the next two weeks. The No. 15 Trojans (2-1) have a week off after Saturday’s game and return against California on Oct. 5.
Walters gained 711 yards in 1993 and 976 yards in 1994. In his career, he has rushed for 1,855 yards on 374 carries. Walters last played in a game on Sept. 23, 1995. He was banned for the rest of last season and the first three games of this season for accepting money from an agent.
Delon Washington, USC’s top rusher last year with 1,109 yards on 236 carries, will play against Houston in his first game of the season. Washington served a three-game NCAA suspension for allegedly lying to Pacific-10 investigators.