Hemingway Contest Attracts More Than 1,700 Entries
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ More than 1,700 entries in the Ninth International Imitation Hemingway Competition have been received so far, a spokeswoman said.
The writing contest closed at midnight Saturday and at least another 800 entries postmarked before the deadline are expected to come in, said Cheryl Thom, spokeswoman for Harry’s Bar & American Grill, the contest sponsor.
She said entries have been received from almost every state and many countries.
Each entrant must submit a one-page story written in the manner of Ernest Hemingway, who was a frequent customer at the original Harry’s Bar in Venice, Italy.
Contest judges are authors Ray Bradbury, Barnaby Conrad and George Plimpton, Los Angeles Herald Examiner book editor Digby Diehl, Jack Hemingway, son of the author, advertising executive Paul Keye, Los Angeles Times columnist Jack Smith, and Bernice Kaye, author of ″The Hemingway Women.″
The winner will receive dinner for two at Harry’s Bar & American Grill in Florence, Italy, plus round trip air fare for two.