AP NEWS
Related topics

Michael Jackson Sues Over Sex Videotape Report

January 13, 1995

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Michael Jackson filed a $100 million lawsuit Thursday over a ``Hard Copy″ report about an alleged videotape showing the entertainer in a sexual encounter with a teen-ager.

The Superior Court lawsuit says ``Hard Copy″ reporter Diane Dimond slandered Jackson by reporting that authorities had reopened their investigation of molestation allegations against him.

The lawsuit stems from a Jan. 9 episode of the syndicated show and an appearance by Dimond the same morning on a KABC-AM radio talk show.

Also named in the lawsuit are ``Hard Copy″ producer Stephen Doran; Paramount Pictures Corp.; KABC talk show hosts Roger Barkley and Ken Minyard; and Victor Gutierrez, a writer cited by Dimond as a source.

Jackson, 36, is seeking $100 million in special damages and unspecified punitive damages.

KABC attorney Jean Zoeller declined to comment. A ``Hard Copy″ spokesman said the show had not yet been served with any papers and stood by its report.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties, who concluded the Jackson child-sex probe last year without filing charges, said the investigation had not been reopened.

AP RADIO
Update hourly