ICC not to appeal Anderson “not guilty” verdict
NEW DELHI (AP) — The International Cricket Council said Wednesday it will not appeal against the verdict of judicial commissioner Gordon Lewis exonerating England fast bowler James Anderson after he was alleged to have abused and pushed Indian player Ravindra Jadeja during the first test in Nottingham.
The ICC’s chief executive David Richardson, the only one who could have appealed against the verdict, said in a statement that he was satisfied with the decision.
“This outcome is the result of two exhaustive and thorough disciplinary processes and, after considering the written decision, the ICC is satisfied with the manner in which the decisions have been reached,” Richardson said.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India, which was hoping for a ban of up to four matches for a level three offence, had on Tuesday expressed its disappointment to ICC at the judicial commissioner’s decision.
But Richardson dashed Indian officials’ hopes, saying the issue was complicated due to conflicting evidence on both sides and there would be no use prolonging the process.
“The disciplinary procedures were robust and transparent and all parties had ample opportunity to ask questions, test the evidence and make submissions,” Richardson said. “We have determined that there is no merit in an appeal and that it would not be in the best interest of the sport to take such action.”
Lewis had found both Anderson and Jadeja “not guilty” following a hearing by video conference which involved the players, witnesses from both teams, the team managers, legal counsel and ICC heads.
Anderson and Jadeja had exchanged angry words as they left the field at lunch on day two of the test at Nottingham, and it was alleged that Anderson pushed Jadeja inside the pavilion complex.
Anderson is also reported in England to have used obscene language aimed at Jadeja and Dhoni during play.
Jadeja had earlier been fined 50 per cent of his match fee for his role in the altercation by match referee David Boon but that was revoked following the judicial commissioner’s investigation.
The five test-match series is tied at 1-1 after three tests with the fourth set to start Thursday in Manchester.