Join Us at the Hearing Loss Association of America Convention as We Say Cheers to 40 Years!
BETHESDA, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar 26, 2019--The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) invites you to join us as we celebrate our 40th anniversary at the HLAA2019 Convention. Presented by CapTel Captioned Telephone, the Convention offers the opportunity to meet other people with hearing loss, learn in the most communication accessible environment, visit the free Exhibit Hall, and enjoy the beauty of Rochester.
- Opening Session with keynote by Rebecca Alexander (@Reb_Alexander). Despite hearing and vision loss due to a rare genetic disorder, Rebecca thrives as a psychotherapist, disability rights advocate, group fitness instructor, extreme athlete, and is author of Not Fade Away: A Memoir of Senses Lost and Found. The Opening Session is sponsored by Advanced Bionics.
- Exhibit Hall where you can experience the latest technology and services for people with hearing loss. The Exhibit Hall is free and open to the public.
- Research Symposium, The Latest on Genetics and Hearing Loss, moderated by Thomas Friedman, Ph.D., chief of the Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), National Institutes of Health. The symposium will include presentations by Zheng-Yi Chen, Ph.D., Mass. Eye and Ear/Harvard Medical School; Richard Smith, M.D., University of Iowa; and Patricia M. White, Ph.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine. The symposium is funded by a grant from NIDCD and sponsored by Cochlear Americas.
- State and Chapter Awards Ceremony & Reception will highlight those people from the HLAA Chapters and State Organizations who have worked tirelessly in their communities to help others with hearing loss.
- Educational and State/Chapter Workshops on advocacy, hearing assistive technology, genetics, and lifestyle are fully accessible with hearing loops and CART/captioning. Sign language interpretation is also available.
- Cheers to 40 Years! HLAA Anniversary Celebration and Awards Gala will be a special night where we pay tribute to our many accomplishments over the years, as well as honor those receiving an HLAA National Award. The Cheers to 40 Years Gala is sponsored by CapTel Captioned Telephone.
- Get Acquainted Party is an annual tradition where you will see old friends, meet new ones, and be entertained. This year’s theme is Fabulous Hollywood. The Get Acquainted Party is sponsored by CaptionCall.
- HLAA2019 Convention Walk4Hearing is an opportunity to explore Rochester while getting some fresh air and exercise.
- Night at the Museum, an exciting off-site event at the George Eastman Museum.
- Complimentary registration for veterans with hearing loss attending for the first time!
HLAA would like to thank all HLAA2019 Convention sponsors for their generous support (listed in alphabetical order):
CapTel Captioned Telephone
Hearing Help Express
Hearing Industries Association (HIA)
Rochester Institute of Technology’s National Technical Institute for the Deaf (RIT/NTID)
Starkey Hearing Technologies
For more information visit the HLAA Convention page.
About the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA)
HLAA, founded in 1979, opens the world of communication to people with hearing loss through information, education, support and advocacy. In addition to annual conventions, HLAA produces Walk4Hearing events across the country, publishes the bimonthly magazine, Hearing Life, advocates for people with hearing loss, and has an extensive network of chapters and state organizations. HLAA is located at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 1200, Bethesda, MD 20814. Phone 301.657.2248 or visit hearingloss.org.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190326005920/en/
CONTACT: Dave Hutcheson
Hearing Loss Association of America
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA MARYLAND NEW YORK
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: WOMEN TECHNOLOGY CONSUMER ELECTRONICS HEALTH MEDICAL DEVICES CONSUMER GENERAL HEALTH MEN
SOURCE: Hearing Loss Association of America
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 03/26/2019 03:15 PM/DISC: 03/26/2019 03:15 PM