AP NEWS
Related topics

Mansion Robbery Is Newport’s Fourth in Two Months

September 24, 1986

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) _ Two masked men ransacked a landmark estate after tying up and gagging its caretaker at gunpoint during the fourth mansion heist in this oceanside resort in two months, police said.

The Monday night robbery at the Malbone estate occured a month after police and several mansion dwellers said they had beefed up security in the wake of the other intrusions.

Sgt. Francis Tessina said the thieves stole a videocassette recorder. Police had not yet determined if anything else was taken. The owner of the estate, Philip Archer Thomas of Washington, D.C., is believed to be in Europe.

The caretaker, Arnold Regan, was beaten but not seriously injured.

Suspects have been charged in two of the three other recent mansion robberies, and Tessina said it was too soon to speculate whether the unsolved heist and the Malbone estate robbery were related.

In the unsolved case, a lone masked man wielding a knife broke into the Bois Dore mansion and robbed oil heiress Carolyn Skelly of an estimated $5 million in jewelry.

Mrs. Skelly, a victim of several prior jewel heists, was unharmed. Tessina said police were optimistic they would make an arrest in that robbery but did not elaborate.

A New York City man is being held without bail on charges he broke into the Summer Wind estate on July 22 and robbed eight people of cash and jewelry worth more than $1 million.

In the other case, a Providence man was arrested last month inside the mansion of sculptor Felix de Weldon.

The three mansions robbed previously are on or near Newport’s Bellevue Avenue, known as Millionaire’s Row because it is lined with homes built in the 19th century by the nation’s industrial giants.

AP RADIO
Update hourly