Day in History: One country, one flag, one language
1994 – 25 years ago
• Gas prices rose just more than a penny per gallon on average during the last month. The average price of gas was $1.086 per gallon. At self-serve pumps, the average price of unleaded was $1.036 per gallon.
1969 – 50 years ago
• Guest House, the new facility near Rochester for the treatment and rehabilitation of alcoholic Catholic priests and brothers, will open this spring. Construction is nearly complete on the $1 million facility on a 90-acre site seven miles northeast of the city in Haverhill Township.
• A brand new fire station has been completed for the Lake City volunteer fire department. There is now room for all five fire trucks along with other emergency equipment.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Beth Proper has taken the job of deliveryman for the Rochester Dairy Cooperative for the past eight months and has proved she can handle the job as well as any man. In her tan dairy coveralls and a cap Beth said she gets many strange looks. Every day from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. she handles her route with 12 downtown stops, 16 west and 11 east route stops.
1919 – 100 years ago
• Local G.A.R. members are supporting the movement entitled “one country, one flag, and one language” that is now the policy of the organization of old union army veterans.