Boston Archdiocese Pick Layman
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)
BOSTON (AP) _ The Archdiocese of Boston has chosen a layman to head its priest oversight board, which was created in response to the clergy sex abuse scandal.
The archdiocese planned to announce the name of the director of child advocacy implementation and oversight next week, said Maureen Bateman, chairwoman of the Cardinal’s Commission for the Protection of Children.
Bateman said she could not name the director, but that commission members met with him Friday and were satisfied with the choice. He will be in charge of implementing the commission’s final recommendations for child abuse protections.
The commission released its draft report in June; Members need more time to weigh public comments since then and plan to release a final report Oct. 7, Bateman said.
Cardinal Bernard Law appointed the commission following revelations in January that church officials shuffled defrocked priest John Geoghan from parish to parish despite known abuse allegations. Since then, about 300 priests nationwide have been dismissed from their duties amid abuse allegations.