Day in History: Wind chill at 74, governor closes all schools
1994 – 25 years ago
• Dubbed “Operation Deep Freeze” high winds resulted in wind chill temperatures in Rochester at 74 below zero. Similar temperatures were throughout Minnesota and Gov. Arne Carlson ordered schools to close.
• Elvis, Pearl Bailey and Walter Mondale, along with many other celebrities, all had a meal there. The Chinese Lantern Restaurant in Duluth, an institution in the city for 30 years, was destroyed by fire.
1969 – 50 years ago
• Harry Blackmun of Rochester, a U.S. Court of Appeals judge, has been named to the newly created American Bar Association Advisory Committee.
• Kenneth Arsers, formerly of Chatfield, French horn instrumentalist with the United States Navy Band in Washington, D.C., will be participating in the inaugural parade for President-elect Richard Nixon. Kenneth played for the Rochester Park Band and Symphony Orchestra when he resided in Chatfield.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Parents are urged by the Rochester Police Department to keep their children from sliding on icy streets. Automobile drivers are unable to stop quickly on the icy pavement.
• Motion picture footage of the battle of Midway was seen by members of the Rochester council, Knights of Columbus, at a noon meeting.
• Two million flatirons will be produced in Minneapolis for civilian use in 1944 to alleviate shortages of civilian needs. The production can be completed with a labor force largely of women.
1919 – 100 years ago
• The Minnesota Legislature today completed the ratification of the national prohibition amendment — the 40th state to do so.
• Thirty-eight children in Rochester have been left fatherless or motherless, or both, during the progress of the influenza epidemic here. The disease is starting to decline. Up to a short time ago, 350,000 persons had died of influenza in the United States.
From news services
Ten years ago
Israeli troops begin to withdraw from Gaza after their government and Hamas militants declared an end to a three-week war. A star-studded pre-inaugural concert took place on the National Mall, featuring Bruce Springsteen, Bono and Beyonce, with President-elect Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, in attendance. The Arizona Cardinals of the NFC advanced to their first Super Bowl with a 32-25 win over the Philadelphia Eagles; the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Baltimore Ravens 23-14 to win the AFC Championship and reach their seventh Super Bowl.
Five years ago
Results showed that nearly 20 million Egyptian voters backed the country’s new constitution, almost double the number of those who’d voted for one drafted in 2012 under the government of toppled Islamist President Mohammed Morsi. “American Hustle” took the Screen Actors Guild Awards’ top honor for outstanding cast; Matthew McConaughey was recognized for his lead performance in “Dallas Buyers Club” while Cate Blanchett won the actress award for “Blue Jasmine.”
One year ago
At the end of a visit to Chile that was meant to heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal, Pope Francis accused victims of Chile’s most notorious pedophile of slandering another bishop; Francis said he would need to see proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Rev. Fernando Karadima. Texas executed by lethal injection Anthony Allen Shore, who became known as Houston’s “Tourniquet Killer” because of the murder technique used on four female victims. Temperatures peaked at 104 degrees during second-round matches at the Australian Open.
Movie director John Boorman is 86. Former Sen. Paul Kirk, D-Mass., is 81. Singer-songwriter Bobby Goldsboro is 78. Comedian-singer-musician Brett Hudson is 66. Actor-director Kevin Costner is 64. Country singer-actor Mark Collie is 63. Actor Mark Rylance is 59. Actress Alison Arngrim (TV: “Little House on the Prairie”) is 57. Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley is 56. Actress Jane Horrocks is 55. Comedian Dave Attell is 54. Actor Jesse L. Martin is 50. Rapper DJ Quik is 49. Rock singer Jonathan Davis (Korn) is 48. Former NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous is 46. Singer Christian Burns (BBMak) is 45. Actor Derek Richardson is 43. Actor Jason Segel is 39. Actress Samantha Mumba is 36. Country singer Kristy Lee Cook (TV: “American Idol”) is 35. Actress Devin Kelley is 33. Actress Ashleigh Murray (TV: “Riverdale”) is 31. Tennis player Angelique Kerber is 31. Actor Mateus Ward is 20.