AP NEWS

Monroe Fire Marshal: Fire caused by spontaneous combustion

October 3, 2018

MONROE — A fire at a home Wednesday afternoon was caused by spontaneous combustion, the town’s Fire Marshal said.

When a woman stopped by her Grist Mill Road home to check on renovation work being done, she opened her front door and was greeted with a heavy smoke condition, Monroe Fire Marshal William B. Davin said.

The woman quickly checked the home and saw that a wall was burned and immediately called 911. The Stevenson Fire Company responded and Davin was called to the scene.

A fire in the home “was caused by spontaneous combustion from products used during the renovation process to refinish the wood floors in the home,” Davin said.

Firefighters were able to get things under control in about 20 minutes.

Firefighters also responded to a home in the 700 block of Wheeler Road, within one mile of the incident on Grist Mill Road, for an activated fire alarm. Davin said it was a false alarm, set off by sawdust from work being done at the home.

Neither home is served by public water, Davin said, meaning there were no fire hydrants that the firefighters could utilize. No firefighters or citizens were injured in either incident.

Following Wednesday’s incidents, Davin said he encourages residents to make sure their smoke alarms are working and turned on.

AP RADIO
Update hourly