Costly fumble prevents Senior Rams from pulling off upset

October 9, 2018

It will be the fumble that will eat at every member of the Deer Park Senior Rams and the coaching staff for the rest of October.

Just as they were about to take a two-touchdown lead on the playoff-bound Barbers Hill Eagles, the Rams fumbled the ball away and the Eagles used the turnover to eventually snare a 15-8 come-from-behind win at Clyde Abshier Stadium Saturday afternoon.

Thanks to quarterback Andrew Ramos, the struggling Rams were about to deliver the knockout punch.

Trying desperately to protect an 8-0 lead, Ramos first intercepted an Eagles pass and then with his back against the Eagles end zone, Ramos found a crease between the tackles and it was off to the races.

The longest run from scrimmage all season long, Ramos darted 83 yards to the backdrop of screaming Rams fans, weaving left then right to avoid tacklers before being brought down inside the 10-yard line.

Had he scored, it would almost certainly have been the game-winning score considering the contest was in the final seconds of the third quarter.

But that’s when the Eagles received the biggest break in the history of Barbers Hill football. On the final play of the quarter, the Rams fumbled the ball away, giving the visitors new life.

Realizing the team still had a pulse, Dale Carter made that pulse stronger when he scored on a terrific 84-yard run. The quarterback ran in the PAT to get the deficit down to 8-7.

After the Rams were unable to move the chains, quarterback Kolby Stork hit Jason Nelson for a pass that deposited Barbers Hill to the one-yard line.

That’s when Carter, with less than two minutes remaining, scored his second touchdown, putting the Eagles in front. Stork then connected with Tate Hollingsworth for a two-point pass, creating the final score.

The Rams, which lost in overtime the week before, fall to 2-6 on the season and 0-3 on this five-week homestand. They’ll host the Baytown Broncos this Saturday at 2 p.m.


Update hourly