Kiln sends smoke into Foster Elementary
The Ludington Fire Department was called to Foster Elementary School Thursday night for the smell of smoke.
The smoke was coming from a kiln in the art room, according to Ludington Superintendent Jason Kennedy.
An unidentified teacher, and a custodian, were in the building, and the teacher was working in their classroom, Kennedy stated in a press release.
“The staff members went to the source of the smoke to find six small pieces of pressed wood smoldering with smoke that were on the kiln in the art room,” Kennedy stated. “The staff members immediately removed the pieces of smoldering pressed wood from the kiln and placed them in the sink of water in the classroom. The pieces of pressed wood were removed from the building.”
Kennedy said he was contacted immediately as was Mason-Oceana Central Dispatch, and that’s where the fire department was called to the scene.
The Ludington Fire Department blew the smoke out with fans, Kennedy stated, and school intends to have its session as planned.
“The safety and well-being of our staff and students is of the utmost importance to Ludington Area Schools, and it was important for the District to have communicated this message with students, staff, parents, and our community,” Kennedy stated.