UN appeals for $3B in aid to war-battered Yemen
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — The United Nations and its partners have appealed for nearly $3 billion in aid to Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition is at war with Iran-allied rebels known as Houthis.
Jamie McGoldrick, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, told reporters in Sanaa on Sunday that it was the largest such appeal ever launched for Yemen, and was aimed at providing the “only lifeline for millions.”
He says the aid would be channeled to the most needy in Yemen, including communities where “the risk of famine, disease outbreak, and protracted displacement converge.” The U.N. hopes to reach some 13 million people.
Last year, donors covered 70 percent of a $2.34 billion appeal.
Since 2015, the fighting has killed some 10,000 people and pushed millions to the brink of famine.