Murder Suspect Surrenders In Wilkes-Barre Twp.

September 28, 2018
1 of 3

Suspect Surrenders In Wilkes-Barre Twp.

WILKES-BARRE TWP. — Murder suspect Kyon Dane McDonald surrendered without incident Friday after police laid siege to an apartment building in an hours-long standoff.

Dozens of troopers descended on the building at 5 N. Walnut St. after learning McDonald, who was charged Thursday with murder in a Plymouth bar shooting, was holed up inside.

As the hours progressed, the police presence increased dramatically, prompting closure of East Northampton Street in the area of the U.S. Gas Station and the evacuation of neighboring properties as well as other units of the apartment building.

State police Special Emergency Response Team members wearing ballistic vests and camouflage fatigues advanced on the building while carrying assault rifles, shotguns and black riot shields.

An armored personnel carrier as well as an armored assault vehicle arrived on the scene. At one point, troopers deployed a drone to surveil the area ahead of a potential raid.

Around 2:20 p.m., a police negotiator took to a bullhorn to urge McDonald to surrender. As the voice echoed through the neighborhood, snipers crouched around the perimeter with rifles trained on the building.

“Kyon McDonald, we are outside your house,” the negotiator said. “Your house is surrounded. We know you’re in there.”

The negotiator directed McDonald to come out with his hands up, and promised police would not hurt him. The officer then warned police would not leave without him.

“We will make entry into the house,” he said.

When McDonald failed to emerge after a few minutes, police set off a flash grenade, setting off a resounding boom that caused curious neighbors to jump in surprise. The negotiator then began urging McDonald to come out once more.

Officers set off a second flash grenade when McDonald failed to appear, and a short time later, around 2:30 p.m., the negotiator could be heard telling McDonald to get on the ground and keep his hands behind his head.

“Thank you for your cooperation,” the negotiator said. “I appreciate it.”

Troopers took McDonald into custody and transported him for processing.

McDonald, 34, of 145 Blair St., Plymouth, was wanted on a criminal homicide charge alleging he fatally shot Tierees Owens, 33, of Plymouth, during an argument outside Robby Nick’s Sports Bar at 177 E. Main St.

According to the charges, police were called to the bar — which was the site of another deadly shooting in July 2017 — shortly before 2:30 a.m. Thursday.

Police say two unidentified men were involved in an altercation outside the bar and that McDonald shot Owens as Owens approached them. The bar owner, Robert Nicoletti Jr., told police he saw McDonald, whom he knows as “Scoob,” shoot Owens several times after the initial shot, police said.

Owens was pronounced dead from multiple gunshot wounds at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital.

McDonald will be held at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility without bail pending trial.

Update hourly