Child porn charges dismissed against Vegas shooter’s brother
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Felony child pornography charges that were brought against the brother of Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock have been dismissed, but Los Angeles prosecutors said Thursday that they intend to refile the case.
The charges against Bruce Paddock were dismissed on May 30, district attorney’s office spokesman Paul Eakins said.
Prosecutors had filed a motion the day before asking to continue the case because a witness wasn’t available, he said. But a judge denied the motion the next day. The district attorney’s office wasn’t able to proceed with the case without the witness and the case was dismissed, Eakins said.
Prosecutors plan to refile charges against Paddock, he said.
Paddock had been accused of knowingly possessing more than 600 images of child or youth pornography between Jan. 1 and Aug. 30 of 2014, according to court documents. The material included “10 or more images of a prepubescent minor or a minor who was under 12 years of age,” a criminal complaint said.
When he was arrested in October, police said Paddock had come on their radar after evidence was discovered inside a business in the Sun Valley area of the city where he had been a squatter. At the time, Bruce Paddock was a transient and couldn’t be found, police said. He was arrested Oct. 25 at an address in North Hollywood.
Paddock was represented by the Los Angeles County public defender’s office. His attorney and a spokeswoman for the office did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment Thursday evening.
Stephen Paddock opened fire on a concert crowd from his Las Vegas hotel suite, killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more on Oct. 1 before killing himself.