DeKalb County businesses, offices close as cold bears down
Business, schools, and public buildings throughout DeKalb County have announced closings for Wednesday and Thursday. Below is the list of closures:
• All DeKalb County public schools will be closed Wednesday, with extracurricular activities cancelled. Some districts, including DeKalb School District 428 and Genoa-Kingston School District 424, said they will make an announcement about Thursday classes by 5 p.m. Wednesday.
• Northern Illinois University: The DeKalb campus will be closed until 10 p.m. Wednesday, and all classes on NIU’s main campus and all satellite campuses are canceled until noon Thursday.
• Kishwaukee College: Campus will be closed all day Wednesday, and all classes and activities are canceled.
Public buildings and services
• Genoa City Hall will be closed Wednesday. The Genoa Police Department is a warming center and will be open. Residents with a water main break or other non-emergencies are instructed to call 815-784-6633.
• Sycamore Public Library: The library will be closed Wednesday.
• DeKalb Public Library: The library will be closed until 1 p.m. Thursday.
• The DeKalb Park District: Its facilities will be closed all day Wednesday. A decision about Thursday will be made by 6 p.m. Wednesday.
• DeKalb County government offices: All county offices, including the courts, will be closed Wednesday and re-open at noon Thursday, according to the county’s Facebook page.
• Lakeshore Recycling: It is suspending collection services Wednesday for the city of DeKalb. According to the city, trash collection service will be moved back a day.
• Waste Management: Trash collection will be delayed until Friday for the city of Sycamore. Waste Management spokeswoman Lisa Disbrow said residents should have their trash carts out by 6 a.m. Friday. All collections should be complete by Saturday, Disbrow said. Recycling collection for this week will be postponed. Recycling pick-up will resume according to its regular schedule next week.
• Local transit services will not be available Wednesday, according to the city of DeKalb. That means Huskie Line, Dial-A-Ride, MedVAC, Meals on Wheels and TransVAC will be canceled through Wednesday.
• Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab services at Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital and Valley West Hospitals are canceled for Wednesday and Thursday. The Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Health & Wellness Center will delay opening until 7 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday, and close early Wednesday at 5 p.m., according to a memo by Kim Waterman, media relations manager at Northwestern Medicine.
• All First State Bank branches will be closed Wednesday, according to the company Facebook page. 24-hour banking will still be available at firststatebank.biz or any First State Bank ATM.
• The Kishwaukee Family YMCA will be closed Wednesday, and all classes, programs and activities are canceled. The YMCA will re-open for regular hours at 5 a.m. Thursday. Kid Zone will remain closed until 4 p.m. Thursday.
• Tails Humane Society, 2250 Barber Greene Road in DeKalb, will be closed Wednesday. Spay/neuter surgeries will be rescheduled.
• The Sycamore State Theatre, 420 W. State St. in Sycamore, will be closed Wednesday.
• The Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. in DeKalb, box office will be closed Wednesday.