Santa Fe real estate agent arrested in hotel incident with girlfriend

December 18, 2018

Police arrested a 51-year-old Santa Fe real estate agent on suspicion of punching and choking his girlfriend Saturday in a hotel room near the Santa Fe Railyard, according to court records.

Shawn McCourt was charged with aggravated battery and battery against a household member, along with false imprisonment, according to a Santa Fe County Magistrate Court criminal complaint.

McCourt had faced battery charges earlier this year and in late 2017 from two different women. The 2018 case was dismissed in October after a key witness was not available for trial and the 2017 case was dismissed in March for lack of prosecution after the alleged victim recanted her story.

In the latest case, a 45-year-old Albuquerque woman who said she was in a relationship with McCourt told investigators she had been in a hotel room with him when she told him she was going out to buy alcohol, according to police reports.

When the woman returned about 20 minutes later, she said, he became angry at her for disturbing him and threw a bag of small bottles of alcohol at her face, punched her, put his hand over her mouth to silence her screams and choked her, according to the reports.

When hotel staff made a room check by telephone, the woman answered and said, “Help, he’s holding me hostage,” according to police reports.

McCourt took the phone and told hotel staff the woman was psychotic, the reports say. Police responded after the hotel’s front desk staff reported the woman had fled to the lobby with scratches and a broken nose, according to the reports.

Police later found McCourt walking on Cathedral Place near East San Francisco Street, where officers arrested him. He was released Sunday from the Santa Fe County jail on an unsecured $5,000 bond.

McCourt, who owns McCourt Real Estate on East Palace Avenue, told police he was attacked by a woman in his motel room. He reiterated that claim in an interview with The New Mexican but would not provide further details without counsel from his attorney.

“That’s not what happened at all,” McCourt said of the allegations in the police report. “It wasn’t true at all.”

McCourt said that since news reports of the 2017 incident became public he has become victim to false allegations and stalkers.

“You put a false allegation out there and you make me a target,” McCourt said, claiming the alleged victim had been stalking and threatening him for weeks.

McCourt would not answer further questions. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

Update hourly